Tuesday 28 September 2010

Ignorance is Bliss?

Given that I am retired and my income is dependent upon my ability to profitably manage my portfolio I have no choice to but to sit down every morning and review the economic and political news as part of that management.

I also carry a phone with market and political news on it so I am never really cut off. What I do tend to refrain from is radio or television for my information with the exception of periodically the evening news- and generally from Germany.

My focus on the web is that I can choose from a number of providers, and read what I find interesting. On television or radio, or even in the newspapers I see/hear/read what someone else finds important.

As I have mentioned in a previous post that information, since the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine, is increasingly dependent on what either the advertisers or the owners of said media deem important.

It was somewhat easy on vacation. With few exceptions I essentially don't watch US news broadcasts as I find them unbearable. They focus on the lowest common denominator of the public intelligence producing a tepid broth with a few spices void of any depth-presented by clowns constantly interrupted commercial breaks.

Back in the UK we have a TV in the bedroom so in the morning I hear the BBC's view of the world picked up by Radio 4's continuation during breakfast.

I feel accosted by an information overflow of primarily negative news, bordering on the sensationalist, the reason for which escapes me.

I don't want to have everything sugarcoated. But surely there are some positive events taking place?

Recently a friend of mine said he had read an article in Time magazine which described doing the "Israeli" thing: Don't listen to the news; Don't read the papers; Do go to the beach.

Makes you wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment