Wednesday 6 November 2013

Further Thoughts on Stroebele

In case anyone thinks I am a right-wing radical following my comments on Mr Stroebele yesterday I would like to state clearly for the record that I am a strong supporter of the idea of a Social Market economy within the framework of a democratic government.  Furthermore I am a strong believer in the need for government ordained regulations which despite sometimes creating red tape and the like are a far sight better than the useless concept of "self-regulation".
 
I make this statement as I realise that my negative opinion of Mr Stroebele could be construed to be an anti everything that he is for. This is not the case.  It is much more that I believe he is actually an amateur in a world of cold-hearted professionals which is why I felt that he was being  "used" in his Snowden adventure.
 
Today, admittedly in "Die Welt" which is anything but a liberal minded media organisation there was a discussion with an undisclosed member of the German Intelligence service.
 
In the article they alleged that the entire trip, down to the room in which Stroebele met with Snowden was organised by the Russian Security Organisation FSB.  They went on to explain that in their opinion this trip was an excellent opportunity for the Russians to keep the debate over the NSA on the front pages and in so doing try and drive a larger stake between the US and Germany.
 
To be fair the article goes too far and suggests that Stroebele intentionally allowed himself to be so manipulated. 

I personally doubt that Mr Stroebele was that strategic in his thinking.  It reeked much more of an ego which saw an opportunity to force its' way to the fore, regardless of any collateral damage it might create.
 
Lastly, just for the record, the idea that Snowden is completely controlled by the FSB and that they were orchestrating the meeting with Stroebele has also now been reported in the magazine "Focus" which is a much more liberal minded media organisation.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment