Friday 9 October 2015

Mr Trump and Syria


I have been following the circus that is the primaries to the USA presidential election.
I am not impressed.
But one of the things that most worries me is one of the apparent front runners in the mess that is the Republican Party,  Donald Trump and his comments about Syria.
In an article about a recent Washington Post interview they mentioned that the strife in Syria has become a staple of Trump's stump speech.  It was highlighted as an area where he has begun to differentiate himself by positioning himself as a much more cautious voice.
I know generally my fear of him is that he would threaten to nuke anyone who annoys him.
But in this instance my fear is a different one.  His response to those who are advocating direct military intervention by the USA is: “They basically want to start World War 3 over Syria....If we’re going to have World War 3, it’s not going to be over Syria. . . . I won’t even call them hawks. I call them the fools.”
That's exactly what Putin wants him to say.
Now I don't want to rush into World War 3, indeed I don't want to rush into any war.  But I fear that until someone stands up to Mr Putin he will continue to march through whatever country he deems imperative to his geopolitical view of the world.  So Mr Trump crowing that Syria isn't important misses a number of points.
It makes sense on the surface.  But it shows no depth of understanding as regards geopolitics and history.  Where do we draw the line?  Those Syrians are the modern day version of Pomeranian Grenadiers. 
Bismarck was quick to say that the Balkans weren't worth the bones of a Pomeranian Grenadier.
It was the cause of the First World War, which I would maintain was the cause of the Second World War.  In between the mess that is the Middle East was created.
Maybe Mr Trump is correct not to want to dive into Syria.  But maybe he should be forced to say what would deserve American intervention at this point, and why.
But then again he is looking for sound bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment