Friday 27 November 2015

The Selling(out) of the United Kingdom

When I first heard that the UK was selling off one-third of its stake in a new nuclear facility to be built at Hinkley Point C in South West England I was somewhat taken aback.  Of the £40billion of trade deals trumpeted by Mr Cameron £18billion would come in the form of Chinese ownership of a British nuclear reactor. 


I fully understand the desire to engage in trade with China but I would have thought there were boundaries that one wouldn't cross if at all possible.


One would have thought that domestic nuclear energy generation would have been beyond the pale of trade agreements with China-but maybe I'm old fashioned.


In discussions it seemed that the British with whom I spoke were more than happy about the financial aspect of the agreement, but all felt somewhat uncomfortable with the Chinese.


Shades of Dr Faustus anyone?


This discussion was played out during the Budget Presentation/Question Time on the floor of Parliament in what I think was supposed to be a classic "there's truth in jest" comment that I for one found amusing.


The Shadow Secretary of the Treasury, John McDonnell, chose to read out of Mao's Little Red Book quipping "I thought it would come in handy to you in your new relationship" as he tossed it to the actual Secretary of the Treasury Mr Osborne.


Anyone who found it distasteful should think twice before they criticise him.


The current Chinese are the (bastard?) heirs to Mao...

No comments:

Post a Comment